Sunday, September 7, 2008

re: Obama considered joining the military


You know, I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there. And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue. -- Barack Obama in an interview with George Stephanopoulos on This Week


Sort of a pathetic statement for someone running for president. But in defense of Barack, I too considered joining the military . . . for about three seconds when my dad suggested ROTC at my first year of college (he spent four years in the Air Force). I graduated from high school in 1975, the year the Vietnam War ended. The last thing I wanted to do was go into the military after seeing our soldiers fight and die in a war that our government micro-managed from Washington. Four or five years later, Obama may have felt the same way. I bet he only considered it for a few minutes before saying hell no.

I served two years as a missionary in Mexico from 1977 to 1979, and I considered that my foreign service obligation. Now I sort of regret never having had military service. I bet Obama does too in a resume sort of way.

No comments: