Monday, November 24, 2008

Obama staff tries to tone down Michelle


By Bonnie Erbe | Scripps Howard News Service

When in doubt, blame the media. That used to be an over-used conservative tactic. Now it's being adopted, apparently, by the Kool-Aid imbibing Obama fans who are so blind to the Obamas' flaws that they scramble mightily to find someone other than the Obamas to blame for these flaws.

Let me state for the record I am neither conservative nor liberal, Democrat nor Republican, feminist nor anti-feminist. Philosophical or partisan labels make me nervous and are never entirely accurate if there is a functioning brain inside the person so labeled. We all think for ourselves and have beliefs that differ from doctrinal rigidity — that is, unless we happen to be a partisan angling for a political appointment (the old, 'What's in it for me' routine.)

As to President-elect Barack Obama, I probably agree with him on 90 percent of his environmental agenda, 90 percent of his diversity agenda and 20 percent of his tax policy agenda. I am so far extremely disappointed with what I see developing as his gender agenda: his position on women's rights. I could go on, but my point is I dislike both parties equally for very different reasons, so any reader thoughts along the lines of, 'you Democrat, you Republican,' are flat out wrong.

read the rest

No comments: